Japanese delight. Soy, miso, ginger, sesame, banging combinations.Get yo chopsticks ready.
- 400g good quality tuna (Blue fin sashimi tuna for example)
- 350g egg noodles
- 1 cucumber
- 2 carrots, peeled
- 1 shallot thinly sliced
- 1 small handful rocket
- Sesame seeds as garnish
- 100g fresh ginger
- 2g salt
- 500g water
- 54g rice vinegar
- 40g sugar
- 1 tsp white miso
- 2 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- ½ lemon juiced
- ½ tsp wasabi paste
- Make your pickled ginger first.
- Finely slice ginger on a mandolin.
- Chuck it in a pan with water and salt and bring to the boil.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- Drain and transfer to a container.
- Grab a saucepan.
- Mix in the vinegar and the sugar.
- Bring to the boil and allow to cool.
- Pour the liquid into the ginger mix.
- Refrigerate overnight.
- In a small bowl, whisk together the sesame oil, lemon juice, miso, soy and wasabi.
- Trim any blemishes from the tuna.
- Cutting against the grain, slice the tuna into evenly long pieces, about ¼ of an inch.
- Place all slices carefully in a high sided dish.
- Pour over your sauce mixture.
- Let it sit and marinate in the fridge for at least an hour.
- Grab a saucepan again.
- Fill with cold salted water and bring to the boil.
- Cook your noodles by the packet instructions, about 4 minutes.
- Drain well.
- Using a peeler, scrape the carrots and cucumbers into long thin slices.
- Mix the noodles with the veg slices.
- Present your tuna in a fan like display on a plate.
- Arrange the noodles, carrots and cucumber next to the tuna.
- Thinly sliced shallot to the side again.
- Serve the rocket alongside also.
- Sprinkle with sesame seeds.