“Fagioli all’uccelletto” Tuscan baked beans
A tuscan dish to go with a beautiful Tuscan wine!
Another Boujee version of Baked Beans!
Suitable for all you vegans out there, just substitute the butter for 40ml olive oil and ignore the parmesan!
Super rich, comforting, delicious.
- 240g canned Cannellini beans. If using dry beans, soak in cold salted water in the fridge overnight
- 1 bulb garlic, halved horizontally
- 1 onion, halved
- 2 tbsp butter/40ml olive oil
- 8 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 sprigs sage, leaves picked and finely chopped
- 300ml tomato passata
- Salt and pepper here
- Parmesan to season, if not vegan!!!
- Drain yo tins of beans and throw in a large pot with the halved bulb of garlic and your halved onion.
- Fill with water and season well with salt.
- Stick it over heat and bring to the boil.
- Reduce slightly and allow to simmer for 45 minutes.
- Preheat your oven to 160 celsius, 180 if not fan operated.
- Strain your beany pot into a bowl and keep the cooking liquid.
- Chuck the onion and garlic.
- Heat your 2 tbsp butter or 40ml of oil in a dutch oven or casserole dish or heavy based pot over medium heat.
- Lob in your garlic and sage.
- Fry for about 6 minutes.
- You want the garlic to be soft and fragrant but not crisp.
- Add in your beans and stir well.
- Add the passata then and stir it all again.
- Using the reserved cooking water from earlier, fill the pot to just cover the ingredients.
- Season well with salt and pepper and cover with the lid.
- Pop in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Give it a big ole stir.
- Season to taste.
- Bowl it up and top with parmesan if using.