Chilli con Carne
Another winter warmer we love. Taken inspiration here from the hairy bikers!
- 500g lean minced beef
- 2 onions, chopped
- 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped
- 2 tsp chilli powder
- 2 tsp cumin
- 2 tbsp flour
- 150ml red wine
- 300ml beef stock
- 400g canned chopped tomatoes
- 400g red kidney beans, drained
- 3 tbsp tomato puree
- 1 tsp caster sugar
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- Sea salt
- Black pepper
- Place a large non-stick saucepan over a medium heat and add the beef and onions.
- Cook together for 5 minutes, stirring the beef and squishing it against the sides of the pan to break up the lumps.
- Add the garlic, 1–2 teaspoons of chilli powder, depending on how hot you like your chilli, and the cumin and coriander.
- Fry together for 1–2 minutes more.
- Sprinkle over the ﬂour and stir well.
- Slowly add the wine and then the stock, stirring constantly.
- Tip the tomatoes and kidney beans into the pan and stir in the tomato purée, caster sugar, oregano and bay leaf.
- Season with a pinch of salt and plenty of freshly ground black pepper.
- Bring to a simmer on the hob, then cover loosely with a lid.
- Reduce the heat and leave to simmer gently for 45 minutes, stirring occasionally until the mince is tender and the sauce is thick. Adjust the seasoning to taste and serve.