Chicken and Waffles
Breakfast and dinner combo! Used to eat this after a few brews in London at about 3am!
Sweet and savoury, it is a delightful dish, but we are biased as we could eat fried chicken for every meal. Paired with champagne like a boss.
Wine Pairing - Bérèche & Fils Brut Reserve
- 8 boneless and skinless chicken thighs
- Vegetable oil for frying (Deep fat fryer for legends)
- 500 ml buttermilk
- 4 tbsp salt
- 2 tbsp black pepper
- 2 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tbsp onion powder
- 2 tbsp smoked paprika
- 1 tbsp hot sauce
- 400g flour
- 50g corn flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 90g honey
- 1 tsp chilli powder
- 65g butter
For the waffles you need a waffle iron if you want to make them at home!
- 400g flour
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp baking powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 eggs separated
- 1 tbsp oil
- 400ml milk
- Chicken first.
- Mix your buttermilk, 2 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp smoked paprika, 1 tbsp hot sauce in a large mixing bowl and mix well.
- Add your chicken thighs to the mix making sure every thigh is covered in the brine.
- Cover the bowl with cling film and marinate overnight or at least 4 hours.
- If using a deep fat fryer, heat it to 175 celsius.
- If using a pan, pour in your oil to be about 3-4 inches deep.
- Heat and if you have a probe check the temp to be 180 celsius or use the bread technique if not.
- In another bowl, mix together your flour, corn flour, baking powder, 2 tbsp salt, 1 tbsp black pepper, 1 tbsp garlic powder, 1 tbsp onion powder, 1 tbsp smoked paprika. (There is a banging spice bag mix powder you can get and you can add this also if you like)
- In single pieces take your chicken from the brine, letting excess drip off, and dredge individually in the flour mix.
- Make sure they are well coated and set aside.
- Continue until all pieces have been done.
- We find the buttermilk can start to come through a little much sometimes so we tend to double dredge in flour.
- Not back to buttermilk first!!! Just double dipped in the flour mix.
- In batches of 2 thighs fry the chicken.
- If using the pan, cook for 4 minutes each side.
- Set aside on kitchen roll and prick each piece lightly.
- Continue until all pieces have been fried and set aside.
- We then like to lob all pieces back through the frying process again for just 1 minute 30 seconds each side.
- Set aside on fresh kitchen roll.
- Make your sauce.
- Melt butter in a pan over medium heat.
- Mix in your honey, chilli powder and salt. Mix well and leave over low heat to keep warm while you make your waffles.
- Preheat your waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, mix together flour, baking powder, sugar and salt.
- In a separate bowl, beat your egg whites.
- In another bowl again, mix egg yolks, oil and milk.
- Mix your egg yolk mix into the flour mix and whisk together.
- Gently fold in your egg whites.
- Pour the batter into your waffle iron to cook.
WAFFLE, CHICKEN, SAUCE, ENJOY