Steak with mushroom Sauce
Different folks, different steaks. Famous tv show. You can use any steaks you like and there’s many ways of cooking them. If you’re looking for some larger sharing style steaks we have recipes for them on the site but for here we are going to go with your standard style sirloin steaks most people buy from their local supermarcado.If you are looking to cook a different style steak we haven’t touched upon then hit us up and we can help advise!
Wine Pairing - Clos La Coutale Cahors Malbec
- Steak obviously. Kidding. 2 x 250/300g sirloin steaks
- Plenty of salt and pepper
- 2 Glugs of olive oil
- 75g butter
- 300g mushrooms (We love porcini for this)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 4 garlic cloves. 2 halved, 2 chopped
- 125ml chicken broth ( I was gonna say veg as alternative but with the steak….)
- 250ml heavy cream
- 30g parmesan
- Steaks need to be room temperature so take them out 30 minutes before you start.
- Gary Usher had a cheat to microwave them from the fridge for 20 seconds but please only do this if you forgot to take them out.
- Generously rub both sides of each steak in salt and pepper.
- Heat oil in the pan over medium high heat until it starts to get smokey.
- Add the steak and cook the first side for about 2 minutes.
- Flip and add the butter and halved garlic to the pan.
- Baste frequently and allow cook for 4 minutes while doing so.
- Flip again and baste other side while cooking for about 2 minutes.
- This should be medium rare.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Cover with foil and let rest.
- Make the sauce.
- Heat the oil and melt the butter in a medium heat pan.
- Add your mushrooms and cook while stirring non frequently until golden brown.
- About 7 minutes.
- Add your chopped garlic with a pinch of salt and pepper.
- Cook for about 3 minutes until it starts to golden.
- Add your stock, cream and parmesan at this point.
- Stir well and keep the heat at medium. Let it simmer.
- Once simmering stir and keep simmering for about 4 minutes.
- It should thicken but you do not want it being as thick as your mates so keep an eye.
- Season with salt and pepper to taste.
- Serve steaks with sauce on side or on top.