Sesame Seared Tuna
Super quick and super simple but very delicious and versatile. Can be served in a salad, with rice, bob’s your mothers brother. We have taken inspiration from Gordon Ramsay for this one, doing it as a small dish with a yuzu sesame dressing.
Séléné Beaujolais Villages
- 460g tuna (ahi tuna which is yellowfin tuna is widely available. You defo need fresh tuna anyway
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 3 tbsp sesame seeds (Try do a mixture of black and white if you can)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp kosher salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 limes
- 2 tbsp yuzu juice
- 1 tbsp sesame oil
- Portion your tuna into 4 pieces.
- Mix your sesame seeds, garlic powder, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp pepper, 1 tsp sugar in a small bowl.
- Brush your tuna with the soy sauce so it is coated all over.
- Zest 2 limes over all the pieces of tuna.
- Put your sesame mix on a plate.
- Roll your tuna through the sesame mix so all sides are coated.
- Set aside.
- MAke your dressing.
- In a small bowl, mix together your yuzu, zest and juice of 1 lime, sesame oil and 1 tbsp olive oil.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper.
- The key thing here is your pan needs to be HOT.
- Heat 2 tbsp olive oil in a pan over medium to high heat until very hot.
- We don’t want the oil to be smoking however as it will burn the sesame coating too quickly.
- 2 at a time, carefully place the tuna in the pan.
- Tilt the pan slightly so the oil runs to one side but the tuna stays centred.
- Press down on the tuna with a spatula.
- Sear for 60 seconds and check it is golden.
- Once golden we flip and repeat.
- Both sides need to be nicely golden..
- Repeat until all of your pieces are cooked.
- Place on a tray and slice thinly.
- Serve dressed with your yuzu dressing.