Salpicon de Mariscos
A Venezuelan style seafood salad which was colonised from 16th century Spain. Ingredients need to be fresh. Did someone shout summer in your ear? A banger of a dish.
- 200g prawns, cooked and peeled
- 150g squid, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, crushed
- 3 tbsp oil for cooking
- 6 tbsp olive oil separately
- 275g hake fillets
- 2 red onions, thinly sliced
- 2 tomatoes, peeled, seeded and finely diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- Cracked black pepper
- 2 limes
- Slice the shrimp into ½ inch pieces.
- Grab a large pot of cold salted water and bring it to the boil.
- Lob in your hake and squid and cook over medium heat for 5 minutes.
- Drain and set the fish and squid aside.
- Heat your 3 tbsp vegetable oil or whatever oil you use in a pan over medium heat.
- Lob in the garlic and cook for about 2 minutes while stirring constantly.
- Chuck in the squid next and fry for about 4 minutes over medium heat.
- Remove it all from the pan and set aside to cool.
- Flake your fish with a fork.
- Place in a large mixing bowl.
- Add the onions, prawns, squid, tomato and peppers.
- Mix well.
- Season it all with salt and pepper, lime juice and your olive oil.
- Mix well again.
- Cover and set aside in the fridge for at least one hour to ensure it is super cold when serving.