Black Bean and Squash Quesadillas
An easy dish for all you veggies out there. We have found when using squash to cook a dish that we’re usually left with tonnes of leftovers which we are sure a lot of people let go to waste. DIshes like this are a great way to use up the remaining squash and its banging too.
- 500g butternut squash seeded and diced
- 8 8 inch flour tortillas
- 75g chopped pickled jalapenos
- 1 chipotle chilli or 2 tsp chipotle paste
- 100g shredded mozzarella
- 60g goats cheese
- 4 tbsp butter
- ½ onion cut into wedges
- 2 tomatoes, halved
- 2 cloves garlic peeled
- 200g black beans, rinsed and drained from their tin
- ½ lime juiced
- Preheat your oven to 160 celsius if fan, 180 if not.
- Cut your squash lengthwise and scoop out the seeds.
- Lightly brush the squash with melted butter.
- Sprinkle with salt and pepper and back for 1 hour.
- Scoop out the flesh and let cool.
- Mash with a potato masher until really smooth.
- Mix with your goat's cheese in a bowl.
- Add your black beans and mash again very well.
- Dry fry the onion, tomatoes and garlic until charred.
- MIx into a food processor with the chipotle and pulse until well mixed.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Set aside.
- Take your squash mash and add jalapeno, mozzarella and lime juice and mix well.
- Divide between 4 tortillas and spread.
- Top each with another tortilla and squash down (Pardon the pun)
- In a large pan heat ½ tbsp butter over medium heat.
- Add a tortilla one at a time and cook for about 3 minutes each side.
- Repeat with remaining tortillas until all cooked.
- Serve with lime wedges and your chipotle salsa.