Most people traditionally think of gratin as a side dish and this can be a side of course but we like to beef the dish up a bit with extra veg to make it bigger and easily suitable and delicious enough to be a main course!
Wine Pairing - Le Soula Le Soula Rouge
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- 1 large aubergine (350-400g) cut lengthways into 5mm slices
- 1 ½ courgette cut into 2mm rounds
- 1 small red onion sliced
- 6 cloves garlic finely sliced
- 6 button mushrooms finely sliced
- 1 tin 400g chopped tomatoes
- Dash tabasco
- Salt and pepper
- 250g parmesan
- 4 sprigs of thyme
- 25g basil
- 1 tsp sugar
- 75g Cashew Nuts
- Place the sliced aubergine into a colander and season with salt, leave to drain.
- Heat the oil in a frying pan over medium heat.
- Add the onion, season with salt and cook until they start to soften.
- Add your garlic to the pan.
- Stir it all up and cook for a further 4 minutes.
- Add your mushrooms and your courgette slices.
- Cook for 5 minutes.
- They should be slightly browned.
- Add your chopped tomatoes and a small dash of water.
- Mix the whole thing together well.
- You need to simmer this all then for about 7 minutes
- While this is simmering, turn on your grill.
- Make sure all of the moisture is out of your aubergine slices.
- You can dab them with kitchen roll and get as much out as possible.
- Brush your aubergine slices on one side with olive oil.
- Grill olive oil side up for 3 minutes.
- Turn and brush other side with olive oil again.
- Grill for 2 minutes.
- Your slices can be done in batches.
- Remove from the grill and season with salt and pepper.
- Take your sauce off the heat and season with salt, pepper, sugar and as much tabasco as you're willing to use.
- Preheat your oven to 180 celsius.
- Build the gratin.
- Take an oven proof dish, whatever shape you like doesn’t matter.
- Don’t go too wide for example as this needs to be layered like a boss.
- Layer the base with some of your grilled aubergine slices.
- Spoon over and cover with your delicious sauce.
- Sprinkle some of your thyme and basil and some of your parmesan.
- Repeat these steps until you’ve built a layered gratin.
- Parmesan again to finish. I use f*cking loads to be honest.
- Bake in the oven for 30 minutes.
- Remove and be warned not to stick your head straight in as it will be very very hot.
- Serve it up alongside a nice salad or rice for example.
- Top again with more parmesan if you feel up for it.