Vegetarian version of our ragu.
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 500g Mushrooms quartered
- 1 red pepper sliced
- 1 yellow pepper sliced
- 2 carrots chopped
- 1 stalk celery chopped
- 1 medium sized onion finely chopped
- 8 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 225ml red wine
- 250ml vegetable stock
- 800g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 sprig fresh rosemary destemmed
- 6 sprigs fresh thyme destemmed
- Salt and pepper
- 600g Pappardelle Pasta
- 200g parmesan grated
- 120ml heavy cream
- Add the 2 tbsp olive oil to the pot over a medium heat.
- Add your onion, carrots, mushroom, peppers and celery and season well with some salt.
- Cook for about 15 minutes,stirring occasionally, until the veg is soft.
- Stir in the garlic and cook for 3 minutes.
- Add your tomato paste and mix it all together well.
- Slowly add your red wine into the pot.
- Let the wine reduce by half.
- Add your stock.
- Stir it all well.
- Add your tins of chopped tomatoes, rosemary and thyme.
- Stir well again.
- Put your lid on your vessel and leave it simmer for 30-45 minutes.
- Begin making your pasta.
- Pot of ragu can stay over a very low heat to stay warm.
- Fill a large pot with cold water and add salt generously.
- Bring to the boil.
- Add in your pappardelle, reading cooking instructions on the packet and taking 1 minute 30 seconds off suggested time. But check the pasta yourself.
- You want it nicely al dente.
- Before draining your pasta remove 200ml of the pasta water from the pot and set aside.
- Carefully drain the pasta and set aside.
- As the pasta is finishing, bring the pot of ragu back to a simmer.
- Stir in your heavy cream and 100g parmesan.
- Reduce to low and continue to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Stir occasionally.
- Add your pasta and your pasta water to your simmering pot.
- Toss it to coat the pasta as much as possible.
- Let simmer for another 5 minutes again, stirring occasionally.
- You want the pasta and the ragu to be sticking to each other.
- Portion it out into individual bowls and use the extra 100g grated parmesan to sprinkle on top.