Growing up as a kid we had a favourite little neighbourhood restaurant called Vinny Vanucci's! I ended up working in the restaurant that took its place as my first ever restaurant job! I used to go to bed dreaming of this pasta dish that they served! It was sublime and one of the first moments I could feel food actually move me. Enjoy!
CANTINA ANNESANTI, SALTO DEL CIECO
- 500g Tagliatelle
- 500g Steak, cut into strips
- 600g mushrooms, cut in quarters
- 2 onions, diced
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- Bunch thyme
- Bunch rosemary
- 200ml dry white wine
- 300ml double cream
- olive oil
- Get a large pot of salted water over high heat to get it to the boil.
- Grab a saucepan, heat a dash of olive oil over medium heat and saute your mushrooms for about 3 minutes.
- Add your garlic and onion and cook while stirring for a further 3 minutes.
- Onions should be soft and mushrooms nice and browned. If not keep going a little more.
- Remove from pan and set aside.
- Season meat with salt.
- Get your pasta into your water and cook for 1 minute less than stated on the packet!
- Keep about 240ml pasta water aside.
- Drain your pasta.
- Add a dash more olive oil into your frying pan and chuck in your meat.
- Sear for 3 minutes and then get the veg mix back in.
- Deglaze the pan now with your wine and make sure to scrape the bottom of the pan getting all that flavour up!
- Get in your heavy cream now and stir well.
- Season with rosemary, thyme, salt and pepper, lots of pepper.
- Continue cooking and stirring.
- Start with half of your pasta water and judge the sauce yourself and if it isn't that silky sexy sauce then add more.
- Simmer for 3 minutes and then stir again. Sauce should be nice and thickened by this point.
- Add your pasta now to the sauce and toss it all about, coating the long strains of pasta in the sauce.
- Serve it up in bowls, season again if you like, parmesan can be used!