Big fans of soup as winter warmers and this is perfect as a winter starter with champagne to kick off your dinner.
Wine Pairing - Bérèche & Fils Brut Reserve
- 1 butternut squash, should be about 1.5kg, peeled, seeded and cubed
- 4 cloves garlic finely chopped
- 1 large onion finely chopped
- Salt and pepper
- 1 tsp grated fresh ginger
- ½ tbsp fresh rosemary
- 1.5 litres chicken or veg stock
- 2 tsp curry powder
- 100ml cream
- Heat your oil in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Add your onion, sprinkle of salt and pepper.
- Cook until soft, about 8 minutes.
- Add your squash and cook while stirring occasionally.
- Say 10 minutes, it should be beginning to soften.
- Add your garlic, rosemary and ginger.
- Stir well and cook for 3 minutes while stirring.
- Add 1 litre of stock.
- Bring to the boil.
- Cover the pot and reduce the heat.
- Let it all simmer for 30 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and let cool enough so you can put it in a blender.
- Do not melt your blender.
- Or use a hand blender.
- Blend the soup, working in batches if that helps.
- Lob it back into the pot over low to medium heat.
- Check your consistency for yourself.
- If you feel it is far too thick add some more broth.
- Add in your curry powder and cream and cook for another 10 minutes over low heat. Stirring occasionally.
- Serve it up alongside crusty bread and add some sour cream on top to be fancy.