We make our Roast Duck with some soy, honey and 5 spice but you can keep it plain by simply just rubbing salt into the duck before roasting. Like we said before, we love duck and everything about it. I just can’t cook duck at home. My Dad worked on a duck farm as a kid and literally cries every time he sees one.
Wine Pairing -
- 2kg Whole Duck
- 2 sprigs thyme
- 2 bay leafs
- 2 tbsp honey
- 4 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp 5 spice
- 1 litre chicken stock
- 4 tbps hoisin sauce
- 1 dash of sesame oil
- 2 Thumb size pieces fresh ginger
- Prick skin all over the duck with a sharp knife or fork.
- Put thyme and bay leaves inside the cavity.
- Mix the soy, honey and 5 spice in a bowl.
- Using a glazing brush if you have one or just use your f*cking hands.
- Rub that sauce all over that bird but leave the smallest bit behind to brush the bird during cooking.
- Cover and place in the fridge for at least 4 hours.
- Preheat oven to 200 celsius if fan assisted (220 otherwise)
- Place duck on a rack in a roasting pan, breast side down.
- Add water to the pan below the duck.
- Roast for 30 minutes without taking even a peak.
- Flip the bird over at this point and brush the bird with your sauce.
- Roast for 20 minutes, brush with sauce.
- Roast for 10 minutes, brush with sauce.
- Roast for 10 minute and remove from the oven.
- Let it rest for 5 minutes.
- Make your gravy.
- Put your stock in a pan, add the hoisin sauce and ginger and bring to the boil.
- Boil for a few minutes stirring constantly.
- Reduce heat slightly and leave until it makes a smooth gravy.
- Add the sesame oil, give it one last good stir and remove.