I remember working in a hotel in London and we had the restaurant booked out for a private party. I think it was the last night of Chicago starring Cuba Gooding Jr. Gas craic either way. They requested tagines very last minute. We had 5 people running all over London looking everywhere for Tagines! It was a nightmare. After about 6 hours we eventually had enough that we could cook and serve the entire party. Ever since then I will always have a tagine at the ready in my house!
DANIEL RAMOS, JAÈN ‘EL BERRAKIN’
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 2 tsp ground black pepper
- 1½ tbsp paprika
- 1½ tbsp ground ginger
- 1 tbsp turmeric
- 2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1.1kg/2½lb cubed lamb shoulder (5cm/2in chunks)
- 2 large onions, grated
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 cloves garlic, crushed
- 570ml/1 pint tomato juice
- 2 x 400g tinned chopped tomatoes
- 115g/4oz dried apricots, cut in half
- 55g/2oz dates, cut in half
- 55g/2oz sultanas or raisins
- 85g/3oz flaked almonds
- 1 tsp saffron stamens, soaked in cold water
- 600ml/1 pint lamb stock
- 1 tbsp clear honey
- 2 tbsp coriander, roughly chopped
- 2 tbsp flat leaf parsley, roughly chopped
- Grab a small bowl and mix combine the cayenne, black pepper, paprika, ginger, turmeric and cinnamon.
- Toss the lamb with 1/2 of the spice mix and rub it in well.
- Cover the lamb and leave in the fridge overnight.
- Preheat the oven to 150C.
- Grab a large casserole dish and heat 1 tbsp oil over low heat.
- Add the onion and the other 1/2 of the spice mix.
- Cook for 10 minutes.
- Onions should be soft and becoming translucent.
- Grab a frying pan and add the rest of the oil.
- Over medium heat brown the lamb pieces, turning to brown all sides.
- Lob the lamb in the casserole dish.
- Grab your tomato juice and de-glaze the pan the lamb was seared in.
- Scrape all the goodness from the bottom.
- Add all that to the casserole dish now too.
- Add the remaining tomato juice, your chopped tomatoes, apricots, dates, raisins, flaked almonds, saffron, lamb stock and honey to the casserole.
- Bring this to the boil over heat.
- Cover with its lid.
- Get it in your pre heated oven for 2.5 hours!
- Serve with chopped herbs!