A cracker of a dish from none other than Nigella Lawson! Legend. Super simple, tasty and quick to make, you can lash this up on the table in a hurry!
I love mirin and it has become one of my favourite ingredients for everything.
CANTINA ANNESANTI, ROSATO UMBRIA FRIZZANTE IGT ‘RASPATO
- 60ml mirin
- 50g brown sugar
- 60ml soy sauce
- 4 salmon fillets, skin removed. About 175g per fillet.
- 120ml water
- 1 tbsp rice vinegar
- 1 red chilli, finely sliced
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 spring onions, finely sliced
- Rice cooked as per our method! Search for the rice recipe as I am not typing it 1,000,000 times.
- In a small bowl, mix together your mirin, soy, sugar. chili and garlic.
- Grab sandwich bags to hold your salmon. The number will depend on the size of the bags and the size of the salmon.
- Stir your marinade until the sugar has been dissolved.
- Put salmon in the bags and marinade in the sauce.
- Seal and leave in the fridge overnight for maximum flavour.
- Heat a non stick pan over medium-high heat.
- Get the salmon into the pan, dry, and cook for about 3 minutes until nicely seared and brown.
- Turn the fillets, lower the heat very slightly, still needs to be medium.
- Add the bits of marinade from the bags to the pan along with your water.
- Cook for 4 minutes.
- Sauce should be nicely reduced and thickened up. If not keep cooking until it has that texture. If it gets too thick too quick add tablespoons of water bit by bit.
- Add the rice wine vinegar to the sauce off the heat and stir it in.
- Plate the rice up, salmon on top, sauce over the top, spring onion for show and then dig in.