I learned this recipe watching Sunday sessions by Big Has! During BBQ season these guys are an absolute must! Ask your local fishmonger for the shells if you don't have any. Loads of different sauces you can serve on the side. I have combined 2 different sauces I liked to make a sort of spicy bearnaise.
DOMAINE DE L'ECU, CHARDONNAY JANUS
- Scallops - This will make 24 scallops
- 200g salted butter
- 50g beef fat
- 1 tsp tarrgon, finely chopped
- 3 tsp chopped parsley
- 3 tsp chopped chives
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tsp red chilli flakes
- 4 egg yolks
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tsp white pepper
- 1 tsp lemon juice
- Start with the bearnaise.
- Melt your butter over medium heat.
- Add in your beef fat and mix.
- Add in your parsley, chives, garlic, chilli flakes.
- Reserve a small bit of butter separately in a jug.
- Get your egg yolks into a blender.
- Add your vinegar.
- Start to blend and while blending slowly add your butter mix.
- Keep going until thick and creamy.
- Season with salt, pepper, lemon juice and your chopped tarragon.
- Pat your scallops dry using kitchen roll.
- Get a fire up to about 220C.
- Once up to temp place a shell directly on the hot coals.
- Brush the inside of the shell with the butter that we reserved earlier.
- Add your scallop to the shell and cook for 1 minute each side.
- Flip and add another small bit of your butter mix to the shell.
- Let simmer in the butter for another 2 minutes or until cooked.
- Pull off and set aside until you have them all cooked.
- Plate them up with your bearnaise on the side and enjoy!