Black Lentil and Mushroom Stew
Creamy delicious plant based Vegetarian recipe which can be made vegan very simply also!
Wine Pairing - Tenuta La Favola, Nero d'Avola
- 200g beluga lentils (Green lentils can be used)
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 6 Cloves of garlic, finely chopped
- 1 medium onion finely chopped
- 600g mixed mushrooms (Get creative and try new ones)
- 6 sprigs of thyme
- ½ tsp chilli flakes
- 60ml white wine
- 2 tbsps miso paste
- 2 tbsps soy sauce
- 480ml Veg broth
- 120ml coconut milk
- 1 tbsp creme fraiche
- 100g Parmesan
- 240g spinach
- Rinse lentils in cold water
- Heat water in a pot and bring to a boil.
- Add your lentils, thyme, and 2 tsps salt and 2 tsps pepper
- Reduce your heat to a medium level and let simmer for 25 minutes
- In a large pan on another ring of your hob, over a medium heat, add the olive oil.
- Add the onion and garlic and stir frequently for about 8 minutes.
- Add your mushrooms and let brown for about 5 minutes while still stirring.
- Add 2 tsps of salt and 2 tsps of pepper.
- Add the chilli flakes and stir it all together.
- Pour in the whie wine and deglaze the pan.
- Scrape up any brown bits from the pan and leave it for about 4 minutes.
- Add your miso paste and soy sauce and stir it all together so the veg is finely coated.
- Drain your lentils.
- Add your lentils to the pan.
- Add your vegetable stock and coconut milk.
- Stir well and bring to the boil.
- At this point the stew needs to be partly blended. You want to blend about half of the pot leaving some parts thick. If that makes sense.
- At this point we add the spinach.
- Bring back to a boil again.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the parmesan and creme fraiche.
- Serve it up baby