Easy, smoky, creamy.
Delish as part of a charcuterie board, starter with flatbreads, or just as a snack.
Ideally this should be done on the bbq. Adding that smoky flavour.
Wine Pairing - Les Equilibritstes Hirsute Rouge
- 1 large aubergine
- Salt to season
- 1 ½ tbsp tahini paste
- 2 cloves of garlic
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- Drizzle olive oil to garnish
- Toasted pine nuts to garnish
- Pomegranate seeds to garnish
- Small bunch Parsley leaves chopped to garnish
- If using a bbq heat to about 250 celsius.
- Place the whole eggplant on the bbq or your grill if using.
- Turn the aubergine constantly.
- Skin should be well charred and flaky
- Take about 15-20 minutes.
- Remove from the heat.
- Let it cool.
- Remove the charred skin.
- If using the oven, preheat the oven to 200 celsius if fan, 220 if not.
- Cut aubergine in half.
- Score the flesh in criss cross motion.
- Sprinkle the flesh with salt.
- Place the halves, flesh side down on a baking sheet and drizzle with olive oil.
- Bake for 40 minutes.
- Remove from oven and set aside to cool.
- Either way, when cooled, scoop out the flesh of the aubergine and drain in a colander.
- Leave for a few minutes to drain.
- Transfer the flesh to a blender.
- Add the tahini, garlic, lime juice, cayenne and paprika.
- Blitz well until all blended.
- Transfer it all to a small bowl.
- Cover and refrigerate for an hour.
- When serving, drizzle with olive oil, top with pine nuts, pomegranate and chopped parsley.