Mac n Cheese
Grew up thinking this was some American luxury we couldn’t get in Ireland!
There were places in London famous for it, high end joints that charged an arm and a leg for this sh*t!!
I mean it is tasty for sure, but going to a 5 star hotel, whose restaurant is owned by a famous London chef, with multiple michelin stars, and ordering f*cking mac and cheese.
- 450g macaroni
- 125g butter
- 2 1.2 tbsp flour
- 450ml milk
- 300ml cream
- 500g grated cheddar
- 250g grated gruyere cheese
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 spring onions, finely chopped
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
- 1 tsp paprika
- Preheat oven to 160 celsius, 180 if not fan oven.
- Grease a baking dish by rubbing the sides and base with a stick of butter.
- Bring a large pot of cold salted water to the boil.
- Add pasta and cook for 1 minute less than packet instructions.
- Drain and set aside.
- Grate all your cheese and mix together.
- Divide it into 3 batches. ½ in one pile and each other pile being ¼ of the cheese
- Melt your butter in a large saucepan over medium heat.
- Slowly sprinkle in your flour and whisk to combine.
- Slowly add ½ your milk and cream, while stirring constantly until smooth.
- Slowly add remaining milk and cream then while stirring until smooth again.
- Add in your spring onion and garlic.
- Continue heating and whisking until it gets very thick.
- Remove from the heat then and stir in your salt, pepper and paprika.
- Slowly add the pile of cheese which is half the total.
- Bit by bit while stirring constantly to melt.
- Keep stirring until completely melted and smooth.
- In a large bowl, combine the pasta and cheese sauce.
- Stir well to combine fully.
- Pour half of the pasta mix into the greased tray.
- Top with one of the piles of cheese, spread out.
- Top then with the other half of the pasta mix.
- Top then again with the last of the cheese.
- Lob in the oven for 20 minutes.