An awesome snack or appetizer to stand around with friends and pick at while you're waiting for your amazing main course to finish in the oven!
Earthy and full of flavour, grilling adds a delicious smokiness, dipped into roasted garlic aioli, everyone will be screaming for more! These artichoke hearts will steal everyone's heart, aawwww cute!!!!
Serves like 6-8 sharing
Wine Pairing - Podere Anima Mundi, Kiss & Fly
- 6 whole artichokes (cleaned and trimmed)
- 1 whole bulb garlic for aioli, 4 minced separately
- 60ml olive oil + 2 teaspoon for aioli
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice for brushin
- 120ml chicken or veg stock
- Salt and black pepper to season
- 120g mayonnaise
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice for aioli
- 1/2 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- 1 pinch smoked paprika
- salt & pepper
- Make your roasted garlic aioli first to set aside in the fridge.
- Preheat oven to 180c.
- Chop the top off your garlic bulb so you can see the cloves inside.
- Drizzle the cloves with olive oil and sprinkle a pinch of salt and pepper over.
- Wrap it up in tin foil so its completely closed over.
- Lob it in the oven and leave for about 45 mins.
- Take out of the oven, unwrap and let cool.
- Once cooled, squeeze out the cloves into a bowl.
- Mash the shit out of it all with a fork.
- Lob in your mayo, lemon juice, worcesty sauce, paprika, mix like mad and then lob it in the fridge.
- Artichoke time.
- Grab a large pot, add your stock and fill the rest with water, enough to cover your artichokes!
- Bring this to the boil.
- Grab your peeled and trimmed artichokes and gently place them in the boiling water.
- Reduce heat and let simmer for about 25 mins.
- Stem should be fork tender.
- Remove artichokes and place in an ice bath to stop cooking.
- At this point turn on the grill.
- Cut artichokes in half lengthwise.
- Using a spoon, remove the choke.
- In a small bowl, mix together the olive oil, tablespoon of lemon juice, minced garlic and pinch of salt and pepper.
- Brush both sides of artichoke well with this mix.
- Sprinkle with a further salt and pepper if you like. Dangerous.
- Place artichokes under the grill, cut side up, for 6 minutes while keeping a close eye.
- Turn and cook again for a further 6 minutes.
- Remove from the grill and plate up alongside your roasted garlic aioli.