Goats Cheese and Honey Salad
Want to be healthy and eat a salad but also be fatty at the same time. Throw a load of warm goats cheese into the mix my friend. Super simple and tasty recipe with a warm honey dressing. Knocked back with the baller sancerre from Daniel Chotard, you will be winning at life.
Wine Pairing - Daniel Chotard Sancerre Blanc
- 50g pecans or walnuts roughly chopped.
- 3 tbsp honey
- 1 red onion thinly sliced
- 2 tsp red wine vinegar
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped
- 8 slices of french baguette
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 250g goats cheese logs (You need 8 thick slices)
- ½ tsp cracked black pepper
- 100g salad leaves (Your choice amigo). We like a mix like spinach and rocket
- Handful parsley
- 100g chives finely chopped
- Having sliced your onion, mix them with the chopped garlic in a jar preferably or a bowl if you don’t have a jar.
- In a small pan over medium heat, heat your vinegar, sugar and 2 tbsp of salt.
- Stir until your sugar and salt dissolve.
- Set aside and let cool.
- Pour over our onion and garlic.
- Making sure well covered if using the bowl.
- Leave for 2 hours.
- Drain the onions while keeping the liquid to be used as dressing later with the warm honey.
- Take a pan and throw in yo nuts over a medium heat.
- Add 1 tbsp of honey and some salt.
- Let the honey heat and shake the pan around well.
- Cook for about 5 minutes until the nuts are nice and brown.
- Remove from pan.
- Set aside.
- Heat your grill.
- Brush one side of each baguette slice with olive oil.
- Grill the bread, oil side up for 2 minutes.
- Flip the bread and add the goats cheese slices to each piece of bread.
- Season with salt and pepper.
- Grill for 2 minutes or until the cheese is turning golden and visibly cooked.
- Heat the remaining honey in the pan until bubbling.
- Mix your salad leaves, pickled onion slices and nuts in a bowl and mix together.
- Toss with some of the reserved pickling juices and remaining oil.
- Divide between 4 plates.
- Put 2 crostini on each plate.
- Drizzle each with the warm honey.
- Sprinkle each plate with your chopped chives.